Serves 4 to 6
2 whole chicken breasts, skinned, boned, and cut in half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dry sherry
4 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
3 cups broth
1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms (optional)
3 tablespoons chicken fat or butter
2 teaspoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon water
1 cup shredded lettuce
1/3 cup toasted, slivered almonds
1 green onion, finely chopped (green and white parts)
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and sherry and marinate for 15 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, prepare the sauce. Mix together the cornstarch and water in a small saucepan until smooth. Gradually mix in the chicken broth, mushrooms (if using), chicken fat or butter, soy sauce, and bouillon granules. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Let boil for 1 minute, and keep warm.
- To prepare batter: Beat together the cornstarch, flour, baking powder, egg, and water until smooth. Coat each piece ofchicken with the batter.
- Heat wok or a large skillet and add oil to a depth of 1/2-inch. Heat to 375 degrees. Cook coated chicken pieces in oil until they are golden, turning them once. This should take about 5 – 7 minutes. Drain the chicken on a tempura rack if you have one, or on paper towels.
- Cut the chicken diagonally into strips. Reassemble the strips into chicken breast shapes and place on a bed of shredded lettuce. Sprinkle with almonds and green onion. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.